Ottawa Senators (@4.0) vs New York Islanders (@1.58)
06-11-2019

Our Prediction:

New York Islanders will win

Ottawa Senators – New York Islanders Match Prediction | 06-11-2019 19:05

The New York Islanders were edged out by the Columbus Blue Jackets in the shot department, 36-34. The New York Islanders are set to visit Canadian Tire Centre in Ottawa, Canada for an Eastern Conference clash against the Ottawa Senators. Brock Nelson had a solid game for the New York Islanders as he contributed 1 goal and 1 assist while Anthony Beauvillier racked up 2 assists. The New York Islanders come into this matchup with a 5-3 record, and they will be looking to continue their success after winning their recent road game against the Columbus Blue Jackets, 3-2 in OT.

The Senators have officially been relegated to spoilers and they filled that role with emphasis last time out, upending the host Florida Panthers 3-2 to cash in on +233 odds. And bettors can expect plenty of huge potential profit opportunities the rest of the way, with the Senators remaining schedule featuring games against the Tampa Bay Lightning, Toronto Maple Leafs (x2), Boston Bruins and Calgary Flames, among others.

That is 25th in the NHL. They average 28 shots per game and have a team shooting percentage of 10.00%. As a team, the Islanders are 21st with a total of 184 goals scored while they've given up 152 goals this season, ranking 31st in goals against. They have 30 power play goals on 187 chances for a percentage of 16%. As a unit they give up 31 shots per contest and have a save percentage of 92%, putting them 1st overall in the NHL. The Islanders are 8th in the league with a total of 81 points this season. They've given up 184 power play opportunities and surrendered 36 goals on those chances for a penalty kill percentage of 80%, ranking 14th overall.

Team Standings

New York also takes fewer penalties than the Sens and kills them off with a lot more success than their opponents. They are first overall in the league for goals allowed (Ottawa ranks 30th). Luckily for New York, their offense looks unbeatable when put up against this Ottawa teams defense. The Islanders are tenth for shots allowed (Ottawa is 31st).

The Senators allow the most shots against in the league and the second-most goals against. They also struggle to kill penalties with only a 78.5 percent success rate good enough for 24th in the league. This would be an incredible underdog victory should the Sens pull it off. But, alas, when the Islanders cross that blue line, all signs point to the Sens being manhandled.

The New York Islanders are currently 10-3-0 on the season and have won 9 games in a row and are currently in 2nd in the Metropolitan Division. The Islanders points and goals leader is Mathew Barzal who has recorded 11 points on the season with 6 goals this season with 1 coming on the power play. Semyon Varlamov is currently 5-2-0 with a shutout to go along with a goals against average of 2.14 and a save percentage of .929 on the season. Thomas Greiss is 5-1-0 with a 2.15 goals against average and a save percentage of .933 on the season. The Islanders have 4 players on their injury list as Jordan Eberle and Andrew Ladd are on injury reserve, Nick Leddy is out, and Anthony Beauvillier is day to day.

The Senators have 51 total points this year, which is 31st in the NHL. That is 14th in the league. They average 30 shots per contest and as a team shoot 9.80% for the year. They allow 36 shot attempts to their opposition per game and have a team save percentage of 90%, which is 25th in the league. The Senators have given up 177 power play opportunities and surrendered 38 goals on those chances for a penalty kill percentage of 79%, ranking them 24th when short-handed. They have had 183 power play chances and scored 38 goals on those opportunities for a percentage of 21%. They've scored 195 goals while giving up 246 scores, which has them ranked 16th and 2nd respectively.

Game Preview: Islanders vs Senators

You dont often see a team that has lost five of its past seven games listed at a mind-boggling -370 but thats what happens when youre blessed with a visit by the Ottawa Senators. Thats the situation the New York Islanders find themselves in as they look to bounce back from a cold stretch that has not only dropped them out of top spot in the Metropolitan Division, but has them dangerously close to being on the outside of the playoff picture altogether.

They are, incredibly, 14th when on the powerplay compared to New Yorks 25th and they are 13th in the faceoff circle compared to their opponents 28th. They are 16th in goals scored compared to New Yorks 20th. As mentioned above, the Ottawa Senators, although dead last in the league, are not dead last in anything when it comes to offensive statistics. They are 23rd for shots on goal compared to the Isles 30th.