Arles Kilcruise (@1.44) vs Crettyard (@3.1)

Our Prediction:

Arles Kilcruise will win

Arles Kilcruise – Crettyard Match Prediction | 24-08-2019

Also in 1994 the club achieved county honours when the U21s took the title beating Portarlington in the Final. The club maintained senior status for 19 years with varying success, winning Division 1 League titles in 1997 and 1998. The club were relegated to Intermediate in 1972, but returned to senior ranks in 1976 when they won the intermediate title beating the Heath in the final. From 1976 to 1984, the club didn't enjoy any success being relegated in 1979. In 1984 they again won the Intermediate title beating The Rock in the final.

The club also reached the 1957 Minor final, Annanough winning by a point after a great match. The Fairymount club was founded in 1948. Players from Fairymount club also represented Laois in all grades during the 1950s. After a long hard campaign, the 1952 junior championship was won, defeating Jamestown after a replay. Fairymount campaign for the next 7 years in the intermediate grade without success, although they reached the 1959 final, losing to Stradbally. Starting out as a minor club, a junior team was formed in 1950. The clubs officers for 1956 were President; Very Rev William Gavin PP; Chairman; John Joe ONeill; Vice-Chairman; Tom Smyth; Sec; Mick Dormer; Treas; Bill Kelly; Committee; Tom Purcell; Kieran Walsh; and Joe Corcoran; Delegates; Mick Dormer; John Joe ONeill.

The club has several All Star winners in their ranks. Crettyard Ladies football club was formed in 1974. They have supplied numerous players to the Laois Ladies county teams for many years, helping the county to win All-Ireland titles at minor and senior Level. They have won county championships in all grades and have also achieved success at Leinster championship level.

To contact the Office of the Press Ombudsman go to or Leinster Express provides news, events and sport features from the Laois area. For the best up to date information relating to Laois and the surrounding areas visit us at Leinster Expressregularly or bookmark this page. This website and its associated newspaper are full participating members of the Press Council of Ireland and supports the Office of the Press Ombudsman. This scheme in addition to defending the freedom of the press, offers readers a quick, fair and free method of dealing with complaints that they may have in relation to articles that appear on our pages.


A second football club, Tolerton was formed in 1956. Its first officers were, President; Very Rev William Gavin PP; Chairman; Mick Brennan; Vice-Chairman; Johnny Moore, Sec; Christy Browne, Treas; Murt Conville. Committee; Tom Dunne, Michael Dowling, Mick Burke, Pakie Doyle, Tom Moore, Tom Byrne, and Bernie Comerford, Delegates; Mick Brennan and Murt Conville. The club's final game was the 1959 junior semi-final v Mental Hospital, which they also lost by a narrow margin. Their First championship game v Abbeyleix ended in defeat, by a narrow margin.

The St Brigids handball club was founded in 1984. Handball was always very popular in the area, with games being played against back walls and side walls of buildings. The completion of the handball alley at Monavea in 1987 changed all that. The club has been very successful over the last 25 years, producing Leinster and All-Ireland champions at juvenile and adult level in both male and female competitions.

Big Paddy Delaney,Michael Skealy Delaney both from Crettyard, Andy Nash Aughrina and John Reilly Newtown Bog all played and won Kilkenny county titles with Cloneen club during this period. Newtown reappeared in the 1930 junior championship. The team mentors was Tom Purcell from Clonbrock and Pat Reilly of Newtown Bog. After reaching the semi-final in 1931, v Portarlington, match played on 17 January 1932, they dropped out of existence.

In the 1980s, the Crettyard football club purchased their own grounds at Moscow, Newtown. County teams have used the facilities for training and matches. In the past 30 years a lot of hard work has gone into developing the magnificent playing facilities now available to both club members and visiting clubs.

An R.I.C. There were 40 members in the club. The Mayo club officers were, Captain; John Doogue, Sec; James Murphy, Treas; John Graham. The Newtown club offices were Captain: Luke Delaney; Sec: John Dooley; Treasurer: William Delaney, Newtown had 55 members. According to the Nationalist and Leinster Times newspaper Newtown played a football game v Modubeagh in 1888, Mayo also played a match v Modubeagh in the Arles club tournament in 1889. special branch report on the G.A.A. The draw for the football championship of 1891 had Newtown v Drimroe down to play in Kellyville on 19 April 1891 with James Mallon as referee. in Queens County in 1890, stated that the Mayo and Newtown clubs were both affiliated. The last report of a team from the Parish during this time came in 1896, Newtown playing Athy in the Ballyadams club tournament. Shortly after the GAA was founded in 1884, there were two clubs in the area: Mayo Die Hards and Newtown sons of Erin.

Portlaoise woman's claim against garda 'abuse of process' says judge

Committee; Mick Dormer; Eamon Ginty; Ned Burke; Paddy Sixsmith; Joe Graham; Jack Meally; Tommy Graham Snr; Delegates; John Joe ONeill; Mick Brennan and Mick Dormer. The first officers were, President; Very Rev, Garret Murphy; Vice-President; Rev, Jimmy Moore; Michael Daly Snr and Tommy Graham Snr; Chairman, John Joe ONeill, Vice-Chairman, Mick Brennan; Sec; Michael Looney; Assist-Sec; Mick Burke; Treas; Tom Dunne. The present Crettyard club was founded in 1960, with the amalgamation of the Fairymount and Tolerton clubs.

Their underage teams already played as one and were very successful, so an amalgamation of the adult teams under the new name St Michael's seemed the logical next step for the two small neighbouring villages. In the early 1990s, an idea was mooted in the Laois villages of Arles and Ballylinan to join forces and have one senior football team.